Why Your Company Needs a Mobile-Friendly Website
Thursday, April 28th, 2022
Mobile is the future of the internet.
It’s not just a trend or fad anymore, it’s an unavoidable reality that will affect your business in some way, shape or form. The number of people browsing on mobile devices has now overtaken desktop computers and with every passing day this figure rises exponentially. This means that if you are not optimizing your website for mobile access then you are already out of date! And if you want to be successful in today’s economy then you need to think about how best to do so because the answer is clear: have a site optimized for mobile viewers! In this article I will explore what makes a site “mobile-friendly” and give tips on how to design one in order to gain more traffic and sales.
- What makes a site mobile-friendly
- Designing your website for mobile
- Adding an app to your site
- Mobile SEO
- The importance of responsive design
- How to make your content more readable on a phone screen
- Other tips and tricks for designing a mobile-friendly site that will increase traffic and sales!
What makes a site mobile-friendly
What makes a site mobile-friendly is if it takes the same amount of time to load on a mobile device as it does on a desktop device. This also means that the content for both devices need to be easy to read and not too clunky so that viewers can navigate the site easily on their smartphones. The text needs to be sharp and easy on the eyes.
Take advantage of all of the capabilities offered by technology these days, especially when it comes to designing your website! There are more fonts available that are easier on the eyes or are designed specifically for smartphones. You can also use some simple but effective layout techniques like removing some page navigation options since they will only confuse users who are more familiar with traditional interfaces – people browsing from a smartphone are looking for a simple answer and if the site doesn’t have it then they will just go somewhere else.
Designing your website for mobile – The basics
There are a few basic rules to follow when designing a mobile-friendly site:
- Keep it simple – People browsing from a mobile device want answers fast so they can go on to their next task. Try not to overload them with information or clutter, keep your site simple and clean!
- Design it responsively – Don’t just shrink your site down, design it responsively so that the content fits both desktop and mobile devices equally. This means that you need to look at how your site is currently set up and then re-organize your content in a different way that will be much easier to navigate.
- Create a design that caters specifically to the mobile viewing experience – When you look at examples of brands with effective mobile websites, you’ll see all sorts of designs which are suited specifically for mobile viewers. The best way to do this is by asking yourself what you would usually look for on your phone and how you can create a design that will cater to those needs.
Adding an app to your site
There are many benefits of adding an app to your site that will make it easy for viewers to access information, browse products or even place orders all from their smartphone or tablet. This will allow them to have a much easier viewing experience and your site will be very convenient for potential customers who want to easily access you from anywhere!
Benefits of having an app:
- You can create a branded mobile experience that’s separate from your main website
- It’s easier for potential customers to access your site on the go
- It’s faster to navigate since there are no ads or other distractions cluttering up the screen
- You can monitor how many times it was downloaded, allowing you to track who is using it. This means that if you see any trends in where your users are from or what mobile devices they use, you can then adjust your site design accordingly
- Users who download an app to their phone are more likely to buy products from you than those just browsing using a browser on their phones. Since it’s so easy and convenient, they won’t have to go searching elsewhere for what they need!
Mobile-friendly websites are important in any SEO effort, but they have a different set of obstacles to face when it comes to being crawled and indexed by Google. The problem with SEO on mobile devices is that crawlers don’t actually see the content of a website on a small screen because they can’t zoom in. In fact, they might not even see any content at all if the page has been coded for desktop browsers only.
The importance of responsive design
Mobile searching has now overtaken desktop browsing and this trend is not going to slow down for anyone. Which means that companies need to have a mobile-friendly website if they want to be successful. In this blog we’ll explore why this is so important and give tips on how you can design a mobile-friendly site that will gain you more traffic and customers!
What is responsive design?
A responsive website is one that automatically resizes based on the device it’s viewed on. Essentially, what you see on your screen changes as your screen size shrinks or enlarges the browser window. What you see is an optimized version of the Internet, tailored to suit each type of device. Think about it this way: if you use your smartphone to watch a show on Netflix, the UI of the app will resize for your small screen. You won’t have to do anything or click anything before it’s optimized for viewing on whatever device you’re using.
The difference between a mobile website and a responsive website
Building a separate site called “mobile site” is not enough if you want your business to reap the rewards of mobile search and browsing. This is because users can’t necessarily do anything with that site other than view it, meaning that you’re missing out on a lot of potential customers and sales. For example, say you started off building a mobile website but have now decided to build a whole new site just for mobile consumers. The next step is to make sure that the new site works well, so you do some research and find out what your target audience wants in a mobile website. The resulting site would be great for your users but terrible for search…so your hard work goes unnoticed.
The solution – Responsive Design
This means having one single website that works for all devices without the need to click a button. This does mean having to be more thorough in designing and coding your site, but it will definitely pay off. The best way to ensure that your site is working on any device is through responsive web design (RWD). RWD uses media queries so that your website resizes based on the device that it’s viewed on. Media queries are simple conditional statements, which means that you don’t need to be a coding guru in order to apply them to your site. Nowadays, any web-building platform should provide media query functionality out of the box (or you can always use CSS).
How to make your content more readable on a phone screen
On a mobile device, you’ll want to avoid having to scroll horizontally. This will make texts larger and easier to read.
Line length is important for easy reading on the screen of any device. Your text should be just under 60 characters per line if you’re not sure what it is. To see how many words are in each line, you can place your cursor on the text and look at the bottom right corner of your browser window. If it says 21, then that means there are approximately 21 words in each line. You also want to avoid clutter or anything that will take up too much space on the screen so don’t use too many images or links either.
Other tips and tricks for designing a mobile-friendly site that will increase traffic and sales!
In addition to tips on designing a mobile-friendly site, there are also some other tricks you can use to improve your online marketing. For example, you can buy traffic to your website. You can buy followers or buy likes so you appear more popular than you really are. If you buy YouTube views, it will raise the excitement about your videos and increase your chance of having an even more successful video in the future. You can buy retweets or buy backlinks to get your website going faster.
Mobile internet has overtaken desktop browsing, which means that companies need to have a mobile-friendly website if they want to be successful. This blog post explores why this is so important and offers tips on how you can design a mobile-friendly site with the tools available today. If your company needs help implementing these principles or getting started in general, contact us! Our team of experts are ready and waiting for any challenge.
Filed under: Tips & Tricks