The SEO fundamentals: For beginners
Friday, March 31st, 2017
Every one of us who are related with web page construction, content writing or editing, web page designing are familiar with the term SEO: the acronym for Search Engine Optimization. Now what does optimization of a website in a search engine mean? It refers to a collection of methods and technique that a search engine uses to rank websites with similar content when a particular search is run by a user. Needless to say, that every website owner wants to be in the top in this competition or in other words to gain a highest rank in a series of contextual search results. Visibility in the world of web is equivalent to popularity or a chance to popularity or business. Knowing how SEO works and deploying certain tools and method can land you in a better or higher rank in a search query.
Following are the three simple steps which any search engine bots often used to prepare their database:
- Discovering a website: The bots which are called crawlers can discover your website with the aid of the ‘Add URL page’ or from any another links in another website.
- Indexing a website: The web page is processed and indexed in the next step. All sorts of internet content are being indexed like a video file, an audio file, text, links and images. Indexing is not an easy job since the web is a dynamic machine. Websites are being modified content wise and upgraded. New websites are being uploaded every day. Thus more frequently the Search engine indexes, the better results it can give in any particular search. This is why all search engines in the market are not that popular with users. Google employs some of the smartest and the prudent programmers for this purpose.
- Analyzing an index: A search is ensued by a surfer; the search engine analyzes the index and ranks your website in the results page
The next logical question that comes in mind in this context is how the search engine indexes a page. They index based on relevance which in turn is based on a large number of parameters a website or web page qualifies. Some of the important factors are:
- Keywords: This is a string of words or a single word that a user uses to run the search. In SEO, if the same keywords appear in your web page in any place like in title, content, domain, url, header and others, your website will get a fair chance in the ranking system. The density of keywords is important.
- Links: These are like ‘likes’ in Facebook. The crawlers collect links to your website from various other places on the web. Larger the number of links better will be your rank.
- Time: This is also called age of a website. In SEO, crawlers consider this as a factor to determine reputability and authenticity of your website.
- Update: Websites that are frequently updated and modified stands a better chance to be visible in a higher rank in a search query.
Need a traffic boost for your website or blog? Get free website visitors to your site today at 10KHits!
Filed under: Tips & Tricks
Tags: marketing, search engine, search engine optimization, seo