How Comparing Website Traffic Can Help You Achieve SEO Goals
Monday, November 28th, 2022
There are many metrics and ratios that you can compare to give you information about your site’s current health and future viability. Comparing these metrics will allow you to make informed decisions and better determine changes needed to optimize the site for search engines, like Google. As an SEO, you are always looking for ways to improve your website’s ranking. One way to do this is to compare your website traffic with other websites in your industry. This will give you an idea of where you stand and what changes you need to make to increase your ranking.
- What are the benefits of Google Analytics
- Some of the factors you should compare
- How to set up Google Analytics on your website
- Tips for using Google Analytics effectively
- How to use data from Google analytics to improve SEO and marketing efforts
- Why it’s important for marketers to know their metrics
What are the benefits of Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free tool offered by Google that allows website owners to track website traffic. You can use this tool to help understand your visitors’ behavior and compare website traffic for free. It is a powerful tool that provides a wealth of information about website visitors, including where they came from, what pages they visited, how long they stayed on the site, and more.
Using Google Analytics can help you improve your website’s SEO and marketing efforts. It provides data that can help you determine which keywords are driving traffic to your site, how well your site’s pages are ranking in search engines, and which marketing campaigns are most effective.
Some of the factors you should compare include:
- Unique Visitors to Returning Visitors
- Search Engine Referrals to Direct Traffic
- Page Views to Site Pages Viewed Per Visit
- Organic Keywords that Drive Traffic to Paid Keywords Driving Traffic
- Time on Site to Session Duration & Bounce Rate for Each
There are many different metrics that you can compare, but some of the most important ones are:
- Website traffic volume
- Bounce rate
- Conversion rate
- Organic search traffic
- Paid search traffic
- Referral traffic
- Social media traffic
By comparing these metrics, you can get a general idea of how your website is performing. If you find that your website is lagging behind the competition, you will need to make changes to improve your ranking.
How to set up Google Analytics on your website
To set up Google Analytics on your website, you’ll need to sign up for a Google account. Visit www.google.com/analytics to get started.
Once in the site, click “Set Up” or “Analize Existing Website.” You’ll enter the analytics code in the text box provided and click “Next Step.”
Click “Finish” to complete setup.
Tips for using Google Analytics effectively
1) Use descriptive names when setting up tracking codes on your site. If possible, provide links to other pages that are very similar, but not quite identical. This will allow you to see which pages are the most relevant in relation to each other.
2) Monitor overall trends over time so you can identify whether your website is improving or declining. Be sure to compare similar data points for accurate results. For example, make sure you’re comparing the same time period if you want to know whether daily page views are increasing or decreasing.
3) Use Google Analytics with other analytics tools to get a more complete picture of your website traffic.
4) Consult your SEO specialist before making any changes to your site based on information gleaned from Google Analytics data.
5) Track changes in bounce rate and session duration over time to find ways that you can optimize your site’s design and content for increased effectiveness.
Why it’s important for marketers to know their metrics
Knowing how many unique visitors come to your site each month, which pages they visit, and how long they stay on the site are all important metrics that can help you make informed decisions about your website’s design, content, and marketing efforts.
By tracking these and other metrics, you’ll be able to fine-tune your website to ensure that it is as effective as possible in reaching your SEO goals. As Google continues to update its search engine algorithms, it’s more important than ever for marketers to have a complete understanding of their website traffic and how it affects their business.
The goal of this article was to compare website traffic for free in order to help you achieve your SEO goals. There are many metrics and ratios that can be compared, including unique visitors versus returning visitors, organic keywords driving traffic versus paid keywords driving traffic, time on site vs session duration/bounce rate for each visit. Comparing these data points will allow you to make informed decisions about your website’s design, content, and marketing efforts as Google continues updating its search engine algorithms.
Filed under: Tips & Tricks