Avoiding the Costly Mistakes of Web Design in E-Commerce
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2022
Web design is a critical part of any online store or business. If you are not careful with your web design, you can forget about having a successful online presence. The following article will explore five common mistakes in web design that need to be avoided at all costs!
1) Lack of Consistency – You want to make sure that the look and feel of your website matches the rest of the branding for your company. That means that if you have an apple logo on everything else, it should also appear on your website. This includes colors, fonts, theme, etc. When there is no consistency between other marketing materials and your site visitors are left feeling confused or disconnected from what they are seeing on their screens because it looks completely different than
2) Poor Navigation – If people can’t find what they’re looking for when visiting your page then they will just leave instead of staying with you to browse around more. It’s important that you take into account how easy it is for someone to navigate through all parts of your site. This includes using headings, subheadings, breadcrumbs, links to guide people throughout your website pages. Make sure that you don’t make the mistake of having images or text links without any wording because this can be very confusing for your visitors.
3) Failing to Optimize for Mobile – Google has already stated their plans on charging companies who do not have a mobile-friendly site starting April 21, 2015. You need to make sure that your site layout is easy to navigate on different devices including tablets and phones; otherwise Google will penalize you for not complying with their standards. Remember, if people can’t access your site on these devices it doesn’t matter how good the rest of your website looks because they will leave instead of waiting for it to load.
4) Making Important Content Hard to Find – This is very true when it comes to navigation; you need to make sure that all parts of your site (including contact information and disclaimers) are easy for people to access. You don’t want your visitors having to search through pages of content in order to find what they’re looking for; especially if it’s a phone number or email address because that means that they will go somewhere else and you can potentially lose them as a customer.
5) Not Having Consistent Brand Imagery – This is very important when it comes to web design; if people can’t tell what your store is trying to sell based on the design of your website, then they probably won’t stick around long enough to purchase anything. You need to make sure that your branding across all platforms is consistent so people know they are in the right place.
6) Not marketing your products effectively – When you create a design for an e-commerce website, you have to consider the fact that your audience is viewing it in different ways. For example, when designing your home page you should be cognizant of the fact that the average Internet user will view this page through a mobile device. You should make sure that everything can be easily seen and read on that small, handheld screen.
This is the number one problem that users have with e-commerce websites’ home pages: product images are either so small they look terrible or they’re too large and blurry. If you want to market your products effectively, you need to make sure the product images are clear so customers know exactly what it is they’re seeing. Also, you should have your product titles bolded so viewers can’t miss them.
Web design is a critical part of any online store or business, and there are many ways to make sure you don’t miss the mark with what you’re trying to convey visually. These five common mistakes will definitely get you off on the wrong foot from the beginning, so be sure you stay away from these at all costs! If people can’t find what they’re looking for when visiting your page then they will just leave instead of staying with you to browse around more. Without a good web design for your e-commerce store, you would be wasting money if you buy traffic to your website as they would be leaving your store almost immediately. It’s important that you take into account how easy it is for someone to navigate through all parts of your site. This includes using headings, subheadings, breadcrumbs, links to guide people throughout your website pages.
Filed under: Tips & Tricks