Is Snapchat Ads Worth It for Your Business
Sunday, December 19th, 2021
Snapchat is a popular social media app created in 2011 that has a unique feature: Snapchat Ads. These ads appear as sponsored content between friends’ stories and the Snapchat Stories playlists on the Discover page. They also show up at the top of your inbox if you have them turned on for “Promoted” messages.
Ads are only shown to people who follow brands or businesses, so they can be targeted very specifically according to age, gender, location, interests and hobbies. For example, if you’re following Nike’s account on Snapchat (or any other account), then when that company posts an ad it will only show up in your feed if you live near one of their stores or like running. If not, then you’ll never see that ad – not even in your “Live” page.
Ads are also seen by Snapchat users while they watch Stories (users can opt out of these targeted ads). These ads come at the top or bottom of the screen, and play for 10 seconds before disappearing forever. They can be made longer if you need more time to make an impression.
That’s pretty much all you need to know about Snapchat Ads, so let’s talk about whether these ads are worth it for your business. The answer is “it depends.” Like social media advertising in general, it’s not enough to build an ad that looks cool, because without a strategy behind it there’s no telling if that ad will do anything for your business.
Here are some pros and cons to consider about Snapchat Ads:
– You can get targeted very specifically, down to the city level – you don’t need a huge budget to make an ad with a high impact.
– People watching Stories on Discover aren’t in their personal feeds like they are on other social media, so they’re more likely to click through and follow your account.
– People watching ads watched them because they already like what you post.
– You can pay per impression (when someone sees your ad) or per engagement (when someone watches the first three seconds). So you only pay when it’s effective.
– Snapchat only has 166 million daily active users, which is a fraction of the 1.9 billion on Facebook and more than 350 million on Twitter.
– Perhaps because of the smaller user base, there’s not a lot of engagement with ads or stories on Snapchat – people spend an average of just over one minute on the app per day.
– It’s easy for your ad to get lost in the visual noise on Snapchat Stories and in between people’s Snaps in their own inboxes.
– You can’t post ads to your personal feed, so unless you run a business account with friends posting things there, most of the people who follow you will never see your ads.
Tips for success with Snapchat Ads
Make your ads personal. People are more willing to click on ads that come from people they know, so if you want them to share your message, make it a fun and personal story.
Build a Snapchat strategy. This is a social media platform with its own unique nuances and best practices – don’t dive right in without reading the user guide! Do some research about how to create visually strong content that will get engagement from your target audience.
Test out different lengths of time for your clips. Some users only watch short videos, while others might be entertained by a full minute-long clip. You can mix it up and see what works best for you and your audience to optimize engagement.
Snapchat Ads can be an effective way to buy cheap web traffic for your business. While they haven’t been around as long as other social media platforms, the platform has proven to offer some unique benefits that may not exist on other networks such as Facebook or Instagram. Snapchat offers ads in both its Stories and Snap Map formats which means you have more opportunities than ever before to reach potential customers with targeted messages and content tailored specifically for them based on their geographic location, age group, gender, interests, etc. The downside is that there are very few targeting options available at this time so it might take longer for these ads to work effectively if you don’t know who your audience is yet! Regardless of whether or not Snapchat Ads could help grow your business, you should consider these tips for success with the platform before putting your ad campaign into motion.
Filed under: Tips & Tricks
Disclaimer: This information is intended for informational purposes. Some information may not be accurate or current and are of the author's opinion (not 10KHits). It's not meant as financial, investment advice, a recommendation regarding a course of action or legal advice.