How to Use Reddit for Content Promotion
Sunday, July 3rd, 2022
Do you want to know how to use Reddit for content promotion? Well, it’s not as simple as you might think. There are many different subreddits that can be used to post your company’s content, but before posting anything make sure you have a separate account with additional information like contact info. Reddit has 8 million page views per day and is home to many different communities interested in the things you offer. This article will go into detail about what makes Reddit so awesome and why it should be considered for marketing purposes.
- What is Reddit and why should you care
- How to create an account on Reddit
- How to find subreddits relevant to your business
- The benefits of using Reddit for marketing purposes
- Tips for posting content that will get the most attention on Reddit
- Common mistakes people make when using Reddit for marketing purposes
- Why it’s important to do research before creating a post on Reddit
What is Reddit and why should you care
What is Reddit? Reddit is a social website classified as a forum. The site was launched in 2005 and it’s been making waves for the last few years due to its ease of use and large numbers of users. You can create an account on Reddit, post content, and search for communities that are interested in your content.
Why should you care about it? Well, there are 8 million page views per day on the website. There are many different subreddits that can be used to post your company’s content that have millions of people subscribed to them. This article will go into detail about what makes Reddit so awesome and why it should be considered for marketing purposes.
How to create an account on Reddit
- On the Reddit home page, click “Submit a new link” which is located in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- On the next page, you are now on the submit page. Enter your title into the box that says “title.” This means that when someone clicks on your post, they’ll be able to see what you are promoting
- Enter your URL into the box that says “url.” This is where people will be able to go if they want to find more information about what you’re promoting, so make sure it’s relevant to your post.
- Now you’re ready to submit your post! You don’t have to fill out any of the other boxes, that’s just for your information.
- Make sure you’re logged into your Reddit account when submitting a post to ensure it goes straight to the front page.
How to find subreddits relevant to your business
Before searching for subreddits, make sure you are logged in because it can be difficult with an incorrect or no username.
- On the Reddit home page, you will see a bar on top that says “reddit” and then underneath it lists things like hot, new, rising, controversial…
- Hover over any of those words and there is usually a little box that appears below it.
- In the box there is usually a number, or it may say “X more.” Click on that box to see how many subreddits are associated with that term.
- Click on the tab for each category of Reddit (i.e., hot, new, rising…etc.) to be taken to a page full of popular posts in that category.
- Click “subscribe” on any of the subreddits that are relevant to your content.
- Once you’ve done this, go through all of your subscribe tabs and click on “edit options” for each of them.
- Make sure the box next to “on” is checked so that when you post something it will automatically go into that subreddit.
- If you want to find more subreddits, click the search bar at the top of your page and type in keywords that are related to your business (i.e., Facebook marketing), then choose “subreddit” from the drop-down menu. You can also look for other keywords like “marketing,” “Facebook,” or “social media.”
The benefits of using Reddit for marketing purposes
- Active audience: There are many people on Reddit who will eagerly respond to your post if you get their interest. People can subscribe to subreddits so even though they may not have an account, they will still get notifications about things posted in those subreddits. Using this system, you can create a post and it will reach the eyes of people who are interested in what you’re promoting.
- It can be used as an advertising platform: You can pay to have promoted posts come up as the top result on popular pages such as “rising” or “hot,” which will expose your content to thousands of different users who are likely interested in your company. The only problem with this is that it gets expensive really fast, but if you have a lot of money that you want to invest into marketing then this could be beneficial for you.
- You can use the search bar to find relevant subreddits: If there’s an important subreddit that you want to post your content into but nobody else has, then you can just search for it! This is beneficial if your company or client is so niche that no other company has thought to use Reddit as a platform for marketing. You can post content on these subreddits relevant to your business as a free website traffic generator for your business. The only downside is that these subreddits can be hard to find, so you’ll have to do some digging.
- It’s quick and easy: Reddit is one of the few websites where it’s okay to post content without first writing an entire blog post first! All you need is your URL, the title of your post, and contact information if someone wants to get in contact with you. This is beneficial because it saves time for you, but also increases the chances of someone clicking your link.
Tips for posting content that will get the most attention on Reddit
- Post something that is topically relevant: Something that will connect with the subreddit you are posting to.
- Make sure it’s unique and not spammy: Reddit has some of the most active users on any website, so you need to make sure your post is not sounding like it’s copied or spamming.
- Get attention quickly: You only have so much time to get people’s attention before your post loses its chance of making it on the front page, so writing something engaging first will increase your chances of getting on the front page.
- Write about something current or news related: If you want to get on the front page then you don’t necessarily need to write an article, but if you want your blog posts to have a higher chance of being on the front page then you need to write something that is newsworthy so people will want to click on it.
Common mistakes people make when using Reddit for marketing purposes
One of the most common mistakes people make when using Reddit for their marketing purposes is trying to post links that are unrelated to Reddit. This will result in your post being removed and you could get banned from the site for breaking the rules. Another mistake people make when using Reddit for marketing purposes is not following the guidelines of what type of content they should be posting to reach the front page. There are no set guidelines, but if you post something that sounds like it’s copied or spamming then your post will likely be removed and you’ll lose credibility. The last thing I want to mention is that if you have a very niche company or client, then it may be difficult to find subreddits related to your industry. One way around this is by using the search bar in hopes of finding relevant subreddits in your industry.
Filed under: Tips & Tricks